Pattern Review: Simplicity 9769 Civil War Bloomers

Well, I mentioned a while back I would start writing pattern reviews, so here goes the first one!  It seems fitting that out of my long list of historical patterns I’ve sewn, that the random number selector would choose a pattern from my first foray into sewing historical costumes.

Of course, the bloomers were the last thing I made for my Civil War Dress, just a couple days before the fair, but…  I got them done!

This is what the pattern envelope looks like:

Oh-la-la!

Civil War Undies Pattern!

And here is the sketch version of the same patterns, just for comparison:

I always thought this drawn lady looked so awkward and stiff.

Sketched Undies

As with most Simplicity Civil War patterns, what you see is what you get, for the most part.  The bloomers call for 2 1/4 yards of 45″ wide fabric, (I used quilting muslin.) and eyelet lace, beading, and ribbon.  I used pre-ruffled eyelet, because that it what was easily available at Walmart at the time.  (Yes, this was ten years ago when most Walmarts still sold fabric.)  I finished them off with the beading and peach satin ribbon, which matched the beading and eyelet on the petticoat that went with this dress.   Since then, I haven’t used beading or eyelet on a single one of my costumes, not for any real reason, it was easy to do, I just haven’t felt the need to.  (I’m also not convinced of its authenticity.)

Here are my finished bloomers, with a bonus chemise!

Meet Sally.  She's a bit of a dummy since she lost her head.

1861 Bloomers

The pattern went together really easily– I remember no problems or frustrations.  The fourteen-year-old me giggled and giggled while sewing because, of course, the bloomers are bottomless, just as bloomers from the Victorian Age should be.  (Imagine trying to fish the waistband of your bloomers out from under your corset to use the facilities and the open crotch suddenly makes far more sense.)  It’s got a drawstring in the back half of the waist, which makes adjusting to fit easy while leaving the front yoke smooth and nice.

I’ve made several pairs of bloomers from the same pattern since, for various customers, and it’s my go-to pattern for bloomers.

I give this pattern 5 stars, and recommend it even for advanced beginner sewers.

About these ads
Published in: on August 30, 2013 at 10:08 pm  Comments (1)  
Tags: ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://costumegirl.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/pattern-review-simplicity-9769-civil-war-bloomers/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

One CommentLeave a comment

  1. Good to know! I have the pattern, but I’ve only made the corset from it. My chemise and drawers I made from an online pattern. Maybe I’ll try my hand at them! :)

    -Veronica


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 28 other followers

%d bloggers like this: